Posted on October 9, 2016 by Ching under Life, Relationship.
It’s hard being away from home. Luckily, we are pros at it now. Last year I was spending four days a week in Topeka. I got a short reprieve over the summer, which was nice, but then it started back up again in September. This time I’m spending four days a week in Kansas City.
Between you and me, Kansas City is a step up from Topeka so I’m not complaining. Plus, even though four days of my work week are spent away from my home base, it usually only means three nights away from home.
I do miss Brian and the girls, though. Thank heavens for FaceTime!
Of course, it’s not the same as being there and hugging and holding my babies and being able to share in the day to day activities. But I have a confession to make…
I actually LOVE working in Kansas City.
Perhaps the biggest contributing factor is the walkability of their downtown area. It’s not a secret that I hate driving. When I’m in Wichita, I have to drive to work everyday. It was nice when Brian and I were able to carpool but that stopped two years ago. Yes, I have to drive three hours to get to Kansas City but, once I’m there, I don’t have to see my car again until have to drive back to Wichita.
- I can walk to work each day. (The hotel where I stay is about a four-minute walk.)
- I can walk to the grocery store, if I need something.
- I can walk to the gym, conveniently located across from the office.
- I can walk to Power & Light for nightlife, free concerts, and a plethora of dining options.
- I can walk to the nail salon and even get my nails done over lunch if I so desire.
- I can walk to get good coffee. And I don’t mean Starbucks, though there is also a Starbucks across from the office.
- I can walk to play trivia or ping pong. (I found some ping pong tables in the park across the street from my hotel. I bought a ping pong set from Amazon a few weeks ago. Now I just need to find someone to play with.)
I just cannot get over how I can walk to EVERYTHING and I am loving it!
I also love the downtown views. Here’s a better picture…
The workspace we were given is located on the 17th floor of the tallest building in downtown Kansas City and the view is spectacular. But that isn’t even the top floor, mind you. I can’t imagine what the views are like on the 40th floor on up.
There are downsides, of course. Quite a few, actually. I will not list them all. For the time being, I’m enjoying my time working in Kansas City while it lasts.